Wednesday 13 May 2015

Thigh Gaps

Thigh Gaps are a big 'craze' which has swept social media over the past 1-2 years. Basically all it is if you have a "gap" between your thighs. Whilst in the depths of my Anorexia this was something I strived for and I felt as though if I had a thigh gap people would like me and I would be considered as being "skinny". I was obviously wrong. 

Having a thigh gap is one of the most ridiculous things ever. Striving to get one won't do you any good, and anyway; the majority of the time however much weight you lose you may never get a thigh gap. 

The reason behind this is because it's all to do with your Skeleton and your bone structure. That's right. Someone who weights 110lbs may not have a thigh gap, but someone who ways 200lbs may have a thigh gap. Why? Because the 200lb person has wider hips.

In most cases, the wider your hips, your legs are further apart therefore your "thigh gap" may appear larger than someone else's who has narrower hips. Here's a picture to explain what I'm thinking;


Hopefully that makes a little more sense now haha..

Now we've got that out of the way, and now you all know it's 99% of the time based on bone structure - why do you strive for a thigh gap? Why do you push your body to dangerous levels of starvation in order to achieve a thigh gap? Why? Your body isn't thanking you and you can have dangerous consequences. 

A thigh gap doesn't say how "skinny" someone is nor does it make you less of a person just because you don't have one. I'm not looking to "shame" people who do have thigh gaps naturally because hey I have one and I'm a healthy weight. I'm just saying - don't strive for one and put your health at risk. It isn't worth it.



These make me laugh ahaha.

Remember every body is beautiful, make the most of what you have! <3

Izzy




1 comment: