Sunday 10 May 2015

How to Stop Calorie Counting in Eating Disorder Recovery

Whilst I was in the depths of my eating disorder, counting calories was all I did. Numbers were running through my mind all of the time, as soon as I'd see a piece of food I'd instantly wonder how many calories were in it. It even got to the point where I kept a diary, and once a week I'd go around the entire kitchen at home and note down the calorie content of every item of food we owned, just so I had a record of it so I'd always have it to hand if I needed it. This just shows how obsessive calorie counting is for someone suffering from an eating disorder is.

I am now happy to say, I don't count calories. The thought has completely gone out of my mind, and to be honest; I can't remember how many calories are in any foods any more anyway! I can't remember a distinct moment during recovery where I stopped calorie counting, I think it just happened over night to be honest! 

To recover from your eating disorder you have to want it yourself. You have to be prepared to but 110% into it in order to recover. Therefore; if you're committed to recovering you're going to  be committed to wanting to stop counting calories.

Seriously having "spoon envy" over this hahaha...I want it!!!
As I mentioned above, if you already count calories you will remember how many calories are in certain foods, but over time your memory will fade. Whilst you do still remember the calorie contents though it's important that you block out those thoughts. For example; if you see a packet of crisps the voice in your head will instantly think "oh crisps, thats xyz amount of calories you're not eating those" and this is where your willpower comes in. You have to override the voice by saying to yourself "no, calories don't matter" (or something less cheesy haha) and just push the thought out of our mind. I found actually eating the crisps helps to push the thought out as it's mind over matter.

Due to the increase in social media and apps on mobile phones, more and more people are also using apps such as My Fitness Pal to document their calorie intake. First off delete the app. Deleting the app will put the thought out of your mind that you need to document that meal you just ate. As soon as the app is off your phone and not easy to see, you won't be able to check the calorie content. It may take time to "train" yourself to not use the app but in the long run it's for the best.

That's all the advice I can give really...Like I said it's up to you! It's your choice. You have the choice to try and banish the negative thoughts and to put counting calories to a stop. Take that choice and try and push it out of your life! When your head isn't full of numbers and intakes - believe me it's a much better mind and world to live in! It takes time but you'll get there, I believe in you :)

Count your blessings, not your calories

Izzy

3 comments:

  1. Hi
    My hospital have told me to calorie count so that I get a certain amount of calories but eventually I need ti stop but I don't know how. What should I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! I had the same problem to with my meal plan. I tried to get my family to help. My mum knew my meal plan therefore knew what I should be eating and when, therefore she knew the calories. I knew in order to help with my recovery that I couldn't know the calories as it'd be a set back so I put my full faith in my mother to count my calories. Whilst I was eating the right calories I was also getting rid of the obsession with me counting them as I was unable to know what was in what meal etc.
      You could also try eating your meal plan like normal, then overtime you will become used to it and be able to base your meals off of "size" and not calories. By size I mean, over time you will become to know what a "normal" bowl of cereal for you to eat is and how much you need, therefore you won't need to look at the calories to make sure you're eating enough.

      I hope this helped! Izzy x

      Delete
  2. I have 'spoon envy' too haha! X

    ReplyDelete